Can staff move between the Parliamentary Service and the Australian Public Service?

There are mobility arrangements that allow easy movement between the Parliamentary Service and the APS.

The Parliamentary Service and APS legislation gives some reciprocal access and review rights in respect of jobs to employees in the two services. These are:

Employees from one Service are able to be engaged in the other Service at a comparable level without it being necessary to advertise the job in the Public Service Gazette.

If an employee in one Service is unsuccessful in gaining a job at a higher comparable level they are able to apply for a review of that promotion decision even though it would be an engagement decision.

Employees in the Services can also seek promotion review of a decision to engage an employee of the other Service at a higher comparable level.