The merit principle reinforces quality, open and transparent selection decision-making. It is shorthand for APS recruitment processes where:
- vacant positions are publicly advertised
- role-based skills, attributes and requirements are identified
- role-based assessment criteria are identified and known in advance by candidates
- decisions are based on relative assessments of candidates against assessment criteria.
A simple approach to check for merit is to seek evidence that suggests:
- the process is open and people given a reasonable opportunity to apply
- the recommended candidate is the best person for the role
- the decision stands up to scrutiny and there are no obvious conflicts of interest or undue influences.